Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday: Contined reflections on Resurrection

Being a person who loves to sing, it is often that I am reading a scripture or reviewing a talk when a hymn or song pops into my head. I was at EFY when I was 15 and the leader of our group knew sign language. "His Hands", by Kenneth Cope, was on our CD for EFY for the year. The beauty of how the sign language visualized this song, really is hard to put into words. But as they apply to the resurrection, please know, the 'His' to whom the song refers, is Jesus. If you ever have a moment to listen to the song, please take it. This quote is actually starting in the chorus after the second verse.

"His hands would serve his whole life though, showing man what hands might do. Giving, ever giving endlessly. Each day was filled with selflessness, and I'll not rest until I make of my hands what they could be. 'Til these hand become like those from Galilee.

"His hands clasped in agony as they lay pleading, bleeding in the garden. While just moments away, other hands betray Him, out of greed, shameful greed. And then his hands are trembling, straining to carry the beam that they've been nailed to. As he stumbles through the streets, headed for the hill on which he'd die. He would die! They take His hands, His mighty hands, those gentle hands and then they pierce them. They pierce them! He lets them, because of love! From birth to death was selflessness and clearly now I see him with His hands calling to me. And though I'm not yet as I would be, he has shown me how I could be. I will make these hands like those from Galilee.

It is as we strive to be better, to do more, and be more like Christ that we become purified. Each day, as the day starts, I tell myself, "God is perfect and people are not. Today I will avoid judging people based on their imperfections, but rather myself on my progress toward God."

Perfection cannot be attained by me in this life. This I know to be true. It is why having a Savior is necessary. But it does not mean I cannot work toward perfection. It is as I draw closer to perfection that I will better understand the Savior. Ephesians 4:11-13 tells us we have people in high places in the church to help us, to lead us and give us encouragement in becoming perfected. Also, it says we need to have a unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God who was a perfect man. Please do be discourged by the perfection concept. I Know this! I will always fall short if I go it alone. I will always need the Savior. He was perfect in life, perfect in death, and perfect in resurrection. And perfect enough to perfect even someone as imperfect as me. D&C 1:38 "What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself." D&C 82:10 "I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." 1 Peter 5:10, "...the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus...make you perfect".

Mormon 9:12-13 A clear path from the start to the end. God created Adam, Adam fell. Because Adam fell came Jesus Christ. Because of Jesus Christ came the redemption of man. Because of the redemption of man came resurrection and loosing of the eternal bands of temporal death.

A thought for tomorrow: A God of Miracles (more discussion on Mormon chapter 9)

No comments:

Post a Comment