Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mormon 9

A truly amazing fact is that the scriptures use logic, don't you think? In this chapter, it doesn't just say, "This is how it is therefore believe!" In this chapter, Moroni actually employs logic to explain the existence of God the Father and Jesus Christ. It is important for us to remember that as we read in the Book of Mormon that these people were told the same stories and traditions about the coming of Christ and the same history including that of Noah and Moses as the people who remained behind in Jerusalem. Just like many of the histories, most were passed verbally and carried verbally, except those on the scrolls that were kept by kings and pharaohs. So for prophets and people in the Book of Mormon to be reminded of things that we can find in the New and Old testament, it is similar to our parents recalling something out of their past to teach us something. The people in the Americas are the same people in the Book of Mormon and came from the same people originally, thus all that applied and was revealed to them is also applicable to the generations in the Book of Mormon.

So here, in Mormon 9, we read that Moroni knows that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever. It begs the question as to why so many people say that there cannot be prophets, seers, and revelators today, when they did happen in the past. Why is it that God worked such miracles in the time of Moses, that he couldn't do the same now, as the time of Christ's return approaches? It really doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. Moroni even makes reference that the God to which he refers to is the same God from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The fact that God performed miracles in olden days with time-line gaps in his miracles, makes even more sense that there was a brief (in his eyes) time without the gospel on the earth and that it is back now. I find it interesting that Moroni was dealing with such unbelief during this time that He felt the need to explain it. We're really not in that different of a place. And not only that, but this is simply 400 years after the coming of Christ.

Amazing the similarities! The people didn't believe and they thought God had changed and that miracles couldn't happen anymore. Hmmmm, sounds like today, doesn't it? Why else would the Joseph Smith story be so difficult to accept? Miracle acceptance?Moroni states that miracles stop occurring because people stop believing. Why would the Almighty show himself to us when we don't even believe in Him? And why does it not make sense that Joseph Smith and latter day prophets, who seek the Lord knowing His power and glory and believing that He will answer, would answer Joseph's prayer and begin His miracles again? It does! It does make sense. It makes sense that the same things that were present in the time of Moses on down to Jesus, is present today, including speaking with tongues, casting out devils, and healing the sick. His work is such a great work. So much potential of the Lord's work relies, and survives in spite of the imperfection within men. It survives because it is not prudent to rise up against the works of the Lord. We have seen His power and His Glory and what He can do.It is simply difficult to imagine! Only 400 years (like 4 generations) since Christ came and visited them and they are unbelieving already? Remarkable.

Moroni continues that I should not doubt, but Believe! I should go to the "Lord with all my heart and work out out [my] own salvation with fear". I used to wonder why I would 'fear' the Lord. He is my father, what is to fear? But as I studied more about fearing God, I understood more. To fear God is to respect him and be humble toward his requests and teachings. It isn't that I should be scared, but in awe, like the song, I Can only Imagine "When I stand in His presence, to my knees will I fall? Will I scream hallelujah? Will I be able to speak at all?" How will that humility and respect manifest in me? Or will I run to throw my arms around Him and be joyful? And will He be joyful at my works? At my choices? Will He be pleased with the things I chose in my life?This chapter really is a great one.

I love it how Moroni points out that he is not a perfect man. And that we should be thankful that we know he is not a perfect man because we can learn from his imperfections. He also gives us instruction to, "be wise in the days of your probation; strip yourselves of all uncleanness; ask not, that ye may consume it on your lusts, but ask with a firmness unshaken, that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God." I love the phrase, "Be wise." Not be smart. Not be careful, but 'be wise'. Wisdom is mostly gained through experience and learning from other's records, trials and experience. Be wise, learn from those around you and grow into who you are. My son has a book that teaches, "be the person God made you to be."God is a miracle worker. It is true. But he can only work miracles in my life if I allow him. He will not force me, I need to go to him for my salvation and as a disciple of Christ.

I am a believer and I will strive to make that known as I live my life and work to improve myself until the day I meet my maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment