Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Your Light

I was reading a letter I received from a friend of mine who is serving a mission. It stuck me his remarkable words and testimony. He is tasked with a very, VERY challenging job and I love the way he is sticking to the Lord for aid. I'm going to share some of his letter here.

The Lord has taught me many times through the presence of His Spirit. I learn from notes I take and impressions I receive. This though came from a comparison by Justin Martyr nearly two thousand years ago, his explanation of the relationship between God and Christ, before the doctrine of the Trinity was established in Nicaea.

Each one of us carries a light within us, divinely given for the purpose of illuminating our part of the world. We are as billions of torches, casting light and shadow depending on the direction in which we move. When one torch begins to gutter and fade in a strong wind, a more powerful flame can be brought to it and rescue it, offering help without diminishing the stronger torch's light and heat. The Savior is the ultimate torch: His light is infinite, and illuminates all that we will permit. That said, sometimes we must too be torches, and rescue those around us who fall. We may enlighten and inspire those around us, help to bear their burdens, and generally help them, all without ever weakening ourselves. It requires that we let ourselves shine, and not bear ourselves down with unconfidence or sin. In the end, though, we may help many more than we can imagine, for the other torches that we light can then be used to rescue other guttering flames.

No comments:

Post a Comment